The non-profit organisation known as ‘Friends of Buchan Country Park’ was formed in the latter part of 2011.
Our aims are:
- To promote and support the management and interpretation of Buchan Country Park.
To put the aims into practice, the Friends will adopt the following objectives:
- Encourage all visitors to Buchan Park to respect and care for the natural environment.
- Consolidate all volunteer groups under the umbrella of Friends of Buchan Country Park.
- Provide practical assistance with the management of the park.
- Support the creation and protection of wildlife habitats at Buchan Park.
- Organise events including exhibitions, entertainments, courses and presentations.
- Build links with the local community.
- Raise funds to support our projects and running costs.
Membership of the Friends of Buchan Park will be open to anyone who agrees with the Aims and Objectives and agrees to abide by the rules of the organisation. Membership shall be registered annually, and membership fees, if any, will be determined at the Annual General Meeting.
The Friends shall ensure proper insurance cover for its members. At the present time, insurance cover is provided by West Sussex County Council.
An Annual General Meeting shall be held in each calendar year to transact the following business:
- To receive and adopt annual reports from officers on the activities and financial accounts of the organisation.
- To elect officers and members of the Committee.
- To appoint two ordinary members to audit the accounts prior to the AGM.
- To transact any business of which the Hon. Secretary has given notice, including the amount of membership fees.
A quorum at a General Meeting shall be 5 members; all registered members may vote at a General Meeting.
The officers of the Friends shall comprise a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. The Chairman has a casting vote at all Committee and General meetings.
The Committee shall consist of the officers, together with a minimum of 3 other members elected at the AGM; the Committee may co-opt additional members as appears expedient. A quorum for a Committee meeting shall be 3 members elected at the previous AGM. The Committee may appoint such other Sub-Committees and officers as it sees fit.
All funds belonging to the Friends shall be kept in a bank account or building society in the name of the Friends of Buchan Park; the Treasurer shall maintain accounts which will be subject to audit and approval at the AGM. The use of the funds is at the discretion of the Committee.
The Committee shall have the following Terms of Reference:
- To endeavour to fulfil the Aims and Objectives of the Friends of Buchan Park.
- To maintain good working relationships with West Sussex County Council.
- A representative of West Sussex County Council is entitled to attend all meetings.
- To be responsible for the expenditure and safety of funds and other properties of the Friends.
- To report its activities to the AGM.
Any 5 members of the Committee, or any 10 Members of the Friends, may call an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) by writing to the Secretary and instructing him or her immediately to give all members a minimum of 21 calendar days (3 weeks) notice of the date of the EGM so called.
Membership of the Friends may be revoked by a majority vote of Committee members, provided that the member has the opportunity to make a presentation.
Changes to the Constitution must be approved at a properly constituted AGM or EGM.
If, at a General Meeting, the membership agrees to dissolve the organisation, all assets shall be transferred to West Sussex County Council.
- Voting entitlement for General meetings = one vote per registered member. Voters must be 18+ years.
- The cost of membership is for the year: March/March, in whole or part. Members joining in the last two months (Jan. Feb.) will not be asked for a payment until the following March. They will be entitled to Friends’ concessions during the interim period but not will not be entitled to other rights = e.g. call for/attend/vote at (any) meeting until they are a fully paid up member.
- All members will be required to renew / review their membership details on an annual basis.
- AGMs should be held in the first week of April, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Notice of full committee meetings should be given at least seven days in advance.
- Responsibilities of the Chairman
- Responsible for chairing all Committee meetings, EGMs and AGMs.
- First point of contact for Friends of Buchan Country Park.
- To ensure the Friends are represented at Advisory Board Meetings.
- Responsibilities of the Secretary
- Responsible for preparing and distributing meeting Agendas.
- Responsible for taking and distributing the minutes of all meetings.
- Responsible for keeping a members register.
- Responsibilities of the Treasurer
- Responsible for recording all financial transactions and maintaining an accurate set of accounts.
- Responsible for maintaining an asset register.
- Responsible for providing cash floats for events.
- Responsible for cashing up after events and for banking proceeds.
The following is not part of the formal constitution but has been agreed by the committee to support the Terms of Reference.
The expectation of a committee member is that:
- He/she will promote FOBCP in a positive way at all times.
- He/she will contribute to meetings and be prepared to deputise for officers when asked (e.g. chair, take minutes etc.).
- He/she will attend additional meetings when necessary.
- His/her contributions/voting on matters etc. may be accepted by e-mail/proxy if notified through the agreed Friends’ e-mail address. The member must accept that
communications will be copied to all other ratified committee members.
- He/she understands that the organisation is a democratic one and that all contacts made with other bodies, on FOBCP’s behalf, can only be made with the approval of the full committee.
- He/she will volunteer for core activities. These could include (in no particular order): recruiting/collecting subs; leading/volunteering for sub-groups; assisting at events – including being project leader; running the website; producing/contributing to the newsletter.
- When assisting at an event, he/she will abide by the agreed regulations, (e.g. wearing high-vis jackets/badges etc.) Unless agreed in advance, when assisting at events, members’ dogs are not welcome, (conflicted/concentration issues).